I am a self-taught painter, collagist and street photographer. My work and training in psychology and cultures influence my art. Process is key—I sweep strokes, connect elements, use viscosity, impasto, texture, shape and color. Revising old work, playing with accidental composition. I work messy—tearing, painting without gloves, using what’s at hand. Transience, impermanence, decay and joy, disorder and letting go are embedded in the piece. I am spontaneous, emotional, sensory. I use strong colors and old broken things, and if figures emerge, I dialogue with aspects of myself—listening, sniffing, watching. Working with bold strokes, automatic gestures and texture, found, used, worn items, refuse from the process itself.
Non-traditional beauty, made to music and movement, through color and juxtaposition of shapes, reflect Boston’s urban push. A vital and vulgar American life reflects my aging and energy. I hike among fragments of nature where random configurations inspire me. Working spontaneously, without plan, I paint visceral and viscous. My process acknowledges there’s no answer to anything, really—life is suffering and joy, confusion and clarity, rife with contradictions. Aging, decay, letting go, from old age to childhood and back.
• Newton Art Association: New Members Show, Honorable Mention, "the Other Red Door," acrylic on canvas. the JUDGES, Myra Abelson & Jeanne Gugino "There is mystery to this painting with the subtle veiling of color and painted edges. The pale blue and pink on the left suggest a landscape. . . balanced nicely by the strong red, which may be the other door."
• Newton Art Association Group Exhibition, June.
• Newton Open Studios: April 7 and 8, Saturday and Sunday, 11-5 PM, Newart Center Main Gallery, 61 Washington Park, Newtonville, MA 02460
• SOLO EXHIBITION, "The Laws of Chance," Cambridge Health Associates, 335 Broadway, Cambridge, MA, http://cambridgehealthassociates.com/gallery, February—May 11
• Cambridge Art Association, MEMBERS' PRIZE SHOW; "The Red Door," JUROR: Joseph Carroll, of Joseph Carroll & Sons Gallery, Of 300 entries, 43 pieces were chosen. University Place Gallery, Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA
• January—February: "Repurposed"—3-Person Exhibition and Artist Talk, Wood Collage Bas-Reliefs: "Interpretations of the Physical World": Newart Center, JUROR: Sarah Montross, DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum
• SOCIAL DOCUMENTARY: "SEEING WOMAN": 30 PHOTOGRAPHS FOR ZEKE MAGAZINE'S "Through a Woman's Lens"
• Fall, 2017 to Winter, 2018: Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center Illuminations Program, 2 photographs, 3 paintings; Curator, Beverly Therkelsen
• BLUE, JUROR: Vera Ingrid Grant, Annual Exhibition, JUROR: Vera Ingrid Grant, of the Hutchins Center for African American Art and Culture, Harvard University, December, 2017—January, 2018
• Summer Selective, 6 large paintings, Newton Open Studios, JUROR: Kathleen Smith Redman
• Concord Art Association: Student/Teacher Exhibition, Painting
• Summer Selective, Newton Open Studios, JUROR: Kathleen Smith Redman, Newton, MA
• The Fifth Annual One, ArtsWorcester, Worcester, MA
• Rockport Art Association, Contributing Members Exhibition, Rockport, MA
• Rockport Art Association, Experimental Group: "Unexpected, No. 4," Painting, JURIED, Rockport, MA
• Invited Small Group Exhibition, 4 Paintings, CURATOR, Katherine Miller, Newbury Court, Concord, MA
• Winter, Cambridge Art Association, Ideas of Home, Photograph "Two Women, Bulgaria"
• Winter, Concord Art Association, Roddy Annual, JUROR: Katherine French, Painting
• Fall, Cambridge Art Association, "Mary Schein Fall Salon," Painting, Cambridge, MA
• Summer Selective, Newton Open Studios, 4 photographs, JUROR, Kathleen Smith Redman
• Spring to Summer: SOLO: Photonarrative, CUBA, "Waiting for Change"— Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center
• Cuba Diversidad: A Photographic Journey, Bunker Hill Community College, Invited Small Group Exhibition & Presentation: JUROR: Laura Montgomery, with Lou Jones and others
• Cambridge Art Association, "Unconventional Means," JUROR: Robert Siegelman
• "Circling the Seine," 30" x 40" Cambridge Art Association: Mary Schein Fall Salon, University Place Gallery, Cambridge, MA
• Newton Open Studios, Summer Selective, JUROR: Kathleen Smith Redman
• Cambridge Art Association, "Hippolyta," Cambridge Art Association, "SELFISH," JUROR: Catherine Kehoe; Reception, Thursday, University Place Gallery
• Spring: SOLO PHOTONARRATIVE EXHIBITION: CUBA: Waiting for Change; Multicultural Arts Center, Cambridge, MA; Opening Reception & Poetry Reading by Cuban-American writers
• Cuba Diversidad: A Photographic Journey, Bunker Hill Community College, Group Exhibition: Curator: Laura Montgomery, Presentation, February, "Words and Images," February; Panel Discussion.
• Cambridge Art Association, "Unconventional Means," JUROR: Robert Siegelman, School of the Museum of Fine Arts, "Embargo"
- Cambridge Art Association, Mary Schein Fall Salon, Kathryn Schultz Gallery, Cambridge, MA
- Narrative Street Photography: Presentation, Newton Arts Center, Newton, MA
- FenceArt, Banners of artwork rotating among Newton public fence locations, Newton, MA, JUROR: Ellen Fisher http://www.newtoncommunitypride.org/festival/FenceART.html
- Rocky Neck Art Colony: Gloucester, MA, Printed, Painted, Folded, Torn: Paperwork, JUROR: Katherine French, Director emerita Danforth Art, Framingham, MA.
- SOLO Photonarrative Exhibition: CUBA Story and Community :Galeria Teodoro Ramos Blanco, Cerro, Havana, Cuba
- SOLO Exhibition: Hotel-Restaurant le Flaubert, Villenauxe-la-Grande, Champagne-Ardennes, France
- Artist Residency: CAMAC Centre d'Art, Marnay-sur-Seine, France; http://www.camac.org/residences-dartistes/artistes-2/2014-2/barbara-trachtenberg/
- Biennial: Les artistes ouvrent leur porte, Open Studios, Marnay-sur-Seine, Champagne-Ardennes, France, Centre culturel, La Maison du Boulanger, France
- Papiers collées: ONLINE http://blattformer.blogspot.de/search/label/NOW%20B.%20Trachtenberg; CURATOR: Ruprecht Dreher, conceptual artist showing at the Berlin Art Fair, 2015
- http://www.socialdocumentary.net/exhibit/Barbara_Trachtenberg/2669; CURATOR: Glenn Ruga
- Street Photography: Photographs of Cambridge and Boston, MA; Griffin Museum of Photography, Small Group Show, Winchester, MA; CURATOR: Harvey Stein
- Members’ Show: Male Bather on the Seine, Griffin Museum of Photography, Winchester, MA
- Artist Reflection: Ten Years of the Artists Professional Toolbox, http://online.flipbuilder.com/vfda/gxfp/mobile/index.html#p=85
- Royal Sonesta Hotel ArtBar, 6 CUBA photographs; Cambridge, MA
- Newton Open Studios Spring Show: Photographs and Paintings/Mixed Media: Leventhal-Sidman Jewish Community Center
- Cambridge Art Association: Pretty Ugly, Woman and Shadow, Havana; Juried by Camilo Alvarez, Samson Projects, Boston, MA, Kathryn Schultz Gallery
- Concord Art Association: Photography, Drawings, Mixed Media, Crafts & Graphics; The Street, Havana and Seated Man, Havana
- Pink Revolution, 69th Annual Members' Juried Prize Show, Cambridge Art Association, University Place Gallery, Cambridge, Massachusetts, JUROR: Kate McNamara, Director & Chief Curator at the Boston University Art Gallery. Co-founder of Cleopatra’s, a Brooklyn-based project space; past curator at MoMA PS1, New York; AIR Antwerpen, Belgium; and Participant, INC., New York
- SOLO: PHOTOGRAPHS: Trident Bookstore and Cafe, Newbury Street, Boston, MA
- SOLO: PAINTINGS AND MIXED MEDIA: Trident Bookstore and Cafe, Newbury Street, Boston, MA
- Mirrors and Windows: La Farmácia Johnson, Havana, Cuba, Cambridge Art Association, Juried by Dana Salvo & Dawn Southworth, Clark Gallery, Lincoln, MA
- Griffin Museum of Photography: Winter Solstice Members' Show, "Newsboys"
- NewTV Summer Selective, Newton, MA: 5 juried pieces, JUROR, Kathleen Smith, Director of Exhibits at New Art CenterNewton Mayor’s Office Summer Show, “Stay Cool”
- Invited Group Show: "Old Structures," CURATOR: Emily Passman—September, REVIEW: http://news.acmi.tv/2013/schwamb-mill/
- Danforth Museum: "Lubavitcher I," Community of Artists: JUROR, Katherine French, Danforth Museum Director, New England Chapter of the International Association of Art Critics (AICA) for curatorial excellence
- YWCA Stand Against Racism, JUROR, Karen Haas, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Jewish-Cape Verdean Seder: "Two Boys"
- FACE TO FACE: Painting, "Face to Face," JUROR, Arlette Kayafas of Gallery Kayafas
- Cambridge Art Association: BLUE, "Mother, Muted," Group show, JUROR, Joseph Thompson, Director, Mass MoCA
- SECRETS: Group Show, "In the Kitchen," JUROR, Jane Young of Chase Young Gallery, Boston. The Cambridge Art Association's Kathryn Schultz Gallery, 25 Lowell Street, Cambridge
- "Brothers, Morocco," Greater Lynn International Photographic Competition
- RE CYCLE: "Totem to a Marathon" JUROR, Susie Nielsen, Farm Gallery + Project Space, Wellfleet MA, Cambridge Art Association, Cambridge, MA
- Boston Camera Club: Latimer Competition: Third Place, "Souq"
- Newton Open Studios: New Photographs: Mexico, Morocco
- Concord Art Association, FRANCES RODDY 13th Open Competition, "Lubavitcher I," JUROR, Jen Mergel, Beal Family Senior Curator of Contemporary Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Scollay Square Gallery, "Friends: Morocco," "Brothers, Morocco," "Woman Baking Bread, Morocco," Boston City Hall: Art and Poetry
- Newton Open Studios TOP TEN: JUROR, Katherine French, Director, Danforth Museum
- April, BLUE, Cambridge Art Association
- PHOTOGRAPHS: The Families of Cuetzálan: Chelsea Public Library
- MacDowell Colony Fellowship: http://www.macdowellcolony.org/artists-indexfellows.php
- Friend to Writers Award: PEN-New England: Prison Writing Program; http://www.pen.org/prison-writing
PUBLICATIONS OF PHOTOGRAPHS
- CUBA: Story and Community: With essays by Lic. Magdalena Rivas Rodríguezand Lic. Félix Hernández Ambrosio, Curador y Gallerista, Galería Teodoro Ramos Blanco, Havana, CUBA
- CUBA, March, 2014: Hardcover of color photographs
- Photograph of Kim Kashkashian, Grammy Award Violist and Free Food Organizer, in "The Melody of Nourishment," Newton Life Magazine, New England Conservatory's Music for Food Program
- Anthology: RE CYCLED, Cambridge Art Association
- Anthology: SECRETS, Cambridge Art Association
- YWCA "Stand Against Racism": http://www.bu.edu/prc/StandAgainstRacism/index.html
- "Jewish-Cape Verdean Seder"
- Book: PAIRINGS
- Book: SEEING, Photographs and poems
- Book: VILLAGE FAMILIES AND NEIGHBORS
- Shalom Magazine, December, 2013
- Book: FABRIC FRANCE, hardcover of photographs
Works owned by:
- WGBH and the Boston Globe in celebrating the second-annual Summer Arts Walk on Newbury Street July, 2015, Robert Klein Gallery, Newbury • Street, Boston, MA, West Roxbury Academy, Boston Public Schools
- The Art Connection (http://www.theartconnection.org) an organization whose mission is to enrich and empower underserved communities by expanding access to original works of visual art
- WGBH AUCTION, 2015
- Greater Boston Citizenship Initiative
- MassBay Community College
- Workshop: Big Sister Association; Photos and Poems, Workshop with urban girls and their "big sisters": writing poems from participants' photographs, 2013, Boston, MA
- Photographer: JEWISH-CAPE VERDEAN SEDER, 2013, Boston, MA
- Presenter: Photographic Resource Center at Boston University
SELECT PAST ACTIVITIES
- Ongoing Demonstrations: Photographic Resource Center at Boston University
- 2013: New England Women in Photography: Simmons College
- 2011-2012: NewTV GALLERY, Newton, MA: Winners of Juried Newton Open Studios, Group Show, JUROR by Katherine French, Director, Danforth Museum, Framingham, MA
- 2012, March, Presentation: "Women in Photography Night": Photographic Resource Center, Boston University, with Lisa Kessler http://www.flickr.com/photos/prcboston/sets/72157629270275528/
- 2011, Fall, Newton Public Library, Preview Show for Winners of Juried Exhibit; JUROR by Katherine French of the Danforth Museum
- 2011, Fall, NEWTON OPEN STUDIOS.
- 2010, Spring, NEWTON OPEN STUDIOS.
- Paintings and Photographs in Private Collections in New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Chicago, North Carolina and Mexico
- Monoprint, Collage, Painting, Drawing: Roz Ablow, Tim Harney, Bonnie Mineo, John Murray, Joanne Mattera
- Maggie Dietz, Poet, Boston University, http://www.bu.edu/creativewriting/maggie-dietz/
MEMBERSHIPS and degrees
- Danforth Museum of Art, NewArtCenter, ArtsWorcester, Rockport Art Association and Experimental Group, Griffin Museum of Photography, Photographic Resource Center at Boston University, Newton Open Studios, Boston Camera Club, Cambridge Art Association, Concord Art Association, Newton Art Association
- Doctorate in Cultural Studies, Boston University
- M.A. in Psychology, Antioch New England
- M.Ed. in Education, Keene State College
- Phi Beta Delta International Scholar